Wednesday, August 3, 2016

My Conceptual Framework


Maslow’s hierarchy of needs of love and belonging states that individuals have strong, natural desires to give and receive love (1954).  This innate need is evident in the reciprocal nature of significance, where individuals feel that others are important to them and they perceive they are important to others.  This is the concept, espoused by Rosenberg and McCollough in 1981 that grounds mattering theory.  Mattering is specifically defined as the “direct, reciprocal of significance” where the individual is the subject of another’s attention, is important to that individual and that there is an interdependent relationship. I believe that, for Latino high school students, the presence of perceived relationships that matter has a positive impact on persistence to graduation. 

1 comment:

  1. This is all I did, today. Work on this framework for a Research Plan due to my peer editor in a few days. Slept wrong so hip and upper back were sore and woke up with a headache, no doubt stress related. Yet, after 5 minutes of somewhat-platonic cuddle-time, I managed to hit the floor at 7:00 a.m., when I'm pretty sure the devil said, "shit she's up," because the next hour were a bit mentally and physically trying but not frustrating. When I was tempted to slow down, I refused and when I was coaxed into an argument I disengaged - seriously, I said "I will not engage in this discussion, I did nothing wrong." Simple. Huh! The power of personal presence. I wrote a little then took a nap - because I could! I met my loving parents for lunch, Yum. And, a conversation with my mom that has my brain distracted. But, throughout each moment, I prayed. There was no physical activity today, but there was a lot of mental work completed. And, although not in complete alignment with my goals, I feel accomplished. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was the best novel...So, I'll work on this story "one paragraph at a time." (Thank you Dr. Tierce for a visionary statement!)

    ReplyDelete